It all started innocently enough.....the great idea for Mom and I to do a ride-a-long with Jim and his friend Tait. We thought the excitement of Saturday night would be fun and boy were we right. We were in the garage, waiting for Tait to come pick me up while Jim was getting all of his stuff together (and boy is there a lot of stuff he has to take with him), next thing you know, Jim gets a call from his radio......another officer in distress......while arresting a suspect, there was an altercation and the suspect got loose with one handcuff on leading the officer (and his backup) of a foot chase in a local neighborhood. This "no good of society" was leaping over fences into peoples yards, opening fences, and scurrying as fast as he could to find a quick escape or a place to hide.
Next thing I know.....Jim was yelling at me to get in Tait's car (who happened to be pulling up right at that time to pick me up). I'm not lying.....Tait didn't even come to a complete stop to get me......the side door opened and I just jumped in. He had all this stuff in his front seat and I was just piled on top of it. Not to mention, he tore out of the parking garage at Mach 10 and w/in seconds we were heading to the scene at 90 mph down side streets. All the while, I'm trying to scrape to get my seat belt on while crammed into my so-called spot. FREAKY!!
Once on the scene, we took place at our assigned perimeter (don't you love how I use the word "we") and then came the helicopter. The dogs were already on site, doing what they do best....the choppers spot light searching for this loser. They were also using heat sensor radar. Did I mention, the spotlight was focused just 1 block from where we were sitting? HELLO??? I just stayed tucked into my spot in his car, lights off trying to look invisible! Oh please, don't just start shooting at the cars???
Long story short, they never found him......after searching out several huddlex heat sources and doing an old-fashioned yard to yard search, they sent everyone on their way. However, they knew who the guy was so they'll get him sooner or later. Sad to think, this stupid idiot went to all of that trouble for a simple warrant!! He's going to have a lot more to worry about when they finally do get him.
Regardless, it was a way to start the evening. I was SO impressed with how quickly and efficiently these guys snapped to action and knew just what to do. My ears were pealed to the radio in Tait's car trying to get word of what/where Jim (and my mom) were and if they were staying safe. Needless to say, my mom just about had a heart attack!! :-)
The remainder of the evening remained steady, but luckily on a much lower level of stress. We saw field sobriety tests, domestic violence, etc.......and all I can say is KUDOS to these men (my dear husband especially) who continuously put their time, energy and life on the line to protect, educate, and hopefully prevent this type of stuff from happening again. I just wish there could be a 100% success rate but I guess that's never going to be possible in this day and age. This was taken literally 30 seconds before the call came through and we were off!
My mom.....oblivious at what she was about to get into! ;-)
On our way to Jim's car, I saw this crazy poster thing they must use at special functions and just had to snap a picture.This is my REAL hero! I love you baby!
Sunday, January 13, 2008
Exciting Saturday Night
Posted by
Cheryl the Hagmeister
at
10:26 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Wow! What an exciting ride-along. Your poor Mom! I guess that's a reminder of why I don't think I could do a ride-along with my son. Jim's Dad really enjoyed his and still talks about how impressed he was with Jim and all the guys. I'll be saying extra prayers!!! Was Floyd babysitting?
Bev
Yes Beverly......that was the REALLY scarry part! Floyd at home with the kids alone!! Luckily they were ALL sleeping when we left, and ALL sleeping when we got home. WHEW! :-)
You all be careful!!!!
Post a Comment