Thursday, January 3, 2008

The BIG day!!

I'm not quite sure if today was bigger for Kellyn or for Me and Jim, but regardless....it's a BIG DAY!!


Kellyn's 1st Day of School!!!









Granted, it's only 2 mornings a week for 3 1/2 hours but still....that's a big deal to me! We had her lunch all packed, outfit picked out, hair done, doggy backpack full of stuff she MAY need.....all that was left was dealing with our emotions. And when I say "our" emotions.....I mean Jim and I. Kellyn could have cared less. In fact, I'm not even quite sure she really knew what was going on.


Kaitlin and Kellyn spending their last few minutes together before leaving the house!














Daddy walking his girl to the classroom. How cute is this?

















Of course, everything was made better when we spotted Cousin Matt going to his classroom...which is right next door to Kellyn's. And they get to spend recess time together on the playground too. She's going to be in heaven!!












She just jumped right into "circle time" and didn't even know we were leaving. Made us so proud and so sad at the same time. We watched through the window for what felt like 15 minutes......just waiting for her to cry out for us.









But the only tears were mine (and I heard a few sniffles coming from Mr.Jim too) as we headed home with such a quiet car. Once home.....we didn't know what to do with ourselves? 3 1/2 hours with just Kaitlin.....and she naps a good chunk of that too! WOW!!!




So I took my time feeding Kaitlin breakfast (it's not very often we get precious 1-on-1 time) and then we played with puzzles on the floor, the off to nap-time. After that, Jim and I seized the free time and hit the yard work. We had all the roses pruned, leaves swept, poop scooped, patio swept, lawn fertilized, etc done in less than an hour. I swear, I've never looked at a clock so often in my life and I never realized 3 1/2 hours could take so long! So here I am......30 minutes away from going to pick her up and I can't wait!!! What's wrong with me???




I know it will get easier (for both of us) but outside of our very rare babysitter (and 99% of the time the girls are already asleep), Jim and I have taken complete responsibility for the raising of our girls. It's a job that we consider MOST important and the thought of her going "outside that box" is somewhat liberating and frightening at the same time. She'll form bonds with her fabulous teachers and fellow classmates and take 1 step farther from being our little baby.




These are all moments in life we can't (and don't want to) deprive our children of, but it's just hard to see time pass so quickly. But I'm so proud of my big girl, she took to her classroom in only a way I could have dreamed of!! You're so awesome Kellyn and I can't wait to hear all about your day!!! :-)




25 minutes and counting.............







7 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWWWW! What a Big Day! I can't wait to hear all about how it went for her. It's hard to give them freedom away from you but at the same time so cool to see how they handle it. You are great parents and I'm sure she's doing wonderful!

Angie

Anonymous said...

Wow Kellyn - What a big girl you're getting to be. I'm sure this was harder for you and Jim then it was for Kellyn. I wonder if I can find a picture of Jim's first day at school. Enjoy your alone time with Kaitlin.

Bev

Cheryl the Hagmeister said...

Beverly, I would LOOOOOVE a picture of Jim's 1st day if you ever find it. Perhaps I'll be bold and actually post it on the blog......do a little comparison thing!!! :-)

Cheryl the Hagmeister said...

Both of you should be proud to know that she did AWESOME....more about that on the blog later!! ;-)

Natalie said...

So big! And, when I miss my boys too much while they're at school, I just pick them up a little early.... I know! Call me crazy.

angela | the painted house said...

I will call you crazy, Natalie!

What a BIG girl! She looks adorable in her school clothes. Way to hold it together, CHeryl!

Anonymous said...

She is so cute, just almost eatable. Jude starts school this next fall and I know it will be a very emotional day for me too. We kept him out just one more year just to make sure he was ready and boy is he ready. Really, we kept him out because I will miss him too darn much when he goes.