Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Me and My Girls

Since Jim and I work a lot of alternate schedules, we play the role of "single parent" quite often. Today was one of those days. And since it was G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S outside, I thought it would be a grrrreat idea to take them to the local animal zoo. It's more like a rehabilitation place but it's just perfect for kids and SO VERY cool.


So here's Kellyn.......all psyched up to see the animals..........so you can imagine how much explaining I had to do when we arrived to find the big metal gates closed with a sign that read "Closed on Mondays". DOH!!! Total bummer.


My next great idea was to let them play in the park right next to the zoo. Well, this too backfired in my face. While walking over the playground, the rooster that run loose here (I promise, it's a really cool place) started chasing Kellyn and scared the living snot out of her. She jumped up into my arms saying "mommy.......don't let them hurt me".


So far so good, right?


Well, we finally got through the sea of aggressive roosters and made it to the swings/slides. WHEW! Finally........happiness. Not yet people!! Kelly quickly climbed to the top of the highest slide, so excited about the fun she was getting ready to have, completely oblivious to the fact that this slide has been sitting out under the death rays of the hot California sun for the past 8 hours. Eeeks! As she slid down, her smile turned sour and all she could say was "owwy.....my bum, my bum"!!


That was it..........I loaded the kids up and got the *&%$ out of dodge!


Now what?


Luckily for me, as a last minute brain trigger, I grabbed Kellyn's new bike and Kait's tricycle and put them in the trunk. Thank you Jesus!!! So, we headed down to the river trail to ride our bikes and throw rocks in the river!








Of course, she had to point out every type of aircraft that flew overhead.........yes, even birds!








I've always wondered how 2 people could have 2 kids that are completely different. Well, not I get to figure it out all on my own since Kell and Kait are as different as day and night.

Example: We get down to this big beach part of the river and we start searching for the "perfect rock" to throw. Kellyn immediately noticed some goose poop and pointed to alert me while getting far away from the filthy mess. GOOD GIRL!!! So, we resume our search for the "perfect rock" and I turn around to see Kaitlin picking up the poop with her bare hand and smearing it amongst her fingers with the biggest smile on her face. BAD GIRL!!!!!


Images of avian flu went flying through my brain.........AAAHHH!!! I'm just glad I came equipped with lots of clorox wipes and sanitizer! YUCK!!


Another example: After our fun day at the river, I treated them each to a lollipop for the trip home. I keep a stash in the car for moments like this. Anyhow.........Kellyn's pop was enjoyed for the entire drive while Kaitlin's pop didn't make it out of the parking lot!! How does she do it? A lollipop in a singe lick? Girl's got talent!


I love my time with my ladies...........as different as they are, they are HILARIOUS and QUIRKY and I love every single inch of them both!!!


2 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Killer roosters at the playground? You know how to pick 'em! :)

I wish Juliet could hang with your girls...maybe without the goose poop, but whatever!

Cheryl the Hagmeister said...

ME TOO!!!

Why don't you hop on a plane and we'll have a big playdat!!??

Please?