Sunday, December 16, 2007

Happy Birthday Jen!!!





I'm embarrassed.......ashamed and COMPLETELY devastated that I'm a day late at wishing my very best friend a Happy $@ Birthday. First of all, I'll spare you the gory details of why I didn't get this blog out last night but just a hint.....it involved a super hot bath and me.....sprawled on the bed, face down, 1/2 wrapped in a towel, totally passed out at 10pm. Pretty sight, huh? Just imagine how pretty the sight was at 2am when I finally woke up, hair still wet with drool all over my face. Apparently I needed some sleep!!!!!

Regardless, I'm SOOOO mad b/c now I'm a day late and a dollar short for Jen's Birthday Wishes. Luckily, I know she'll forgive me. She HAS to.....it's in the contract!!! :-)

Boy, where do I start here. I've always joked around that we became friends in "the womb" mainly b/c our mothers were friends and were pregnant with us around the same time (yes, I'm older......constantly reminded of that). Jen's mom (momma Nettie) even has pictures of Chris and I at some of Jen's early b-day parties.....prior to us moving to TX. Granted, we didn't look all that thrilled to be at these parties but little did I know that she would end up being my closest comrade in the next 15 years.

I would say the "meat" of our friendship was definitely in high school where we literally did EVERYTHING together. Her parents may as well have adopted me (they basically did) considering I was always at their house (or vice verse), eating their food, sleeping on their couch or just lounging around. We even dated best friends just so we could all do things together. Both of our boyfriends lived in the dorm and Jen and I lived at home so we ended up getting to do more things with each other than with them........but I'm A-OK with that now!!! Funny how things work out.

Sadly enough.....we were such good friend that we even won the "Dating Game" (kindof like the "Newlywed Game") at one of our school functions. It was hilarious and I'm not kidding.....there was NO contest when it came to us. We won that thing hands down without even breaking a sweat!

And without even being invited (not by choice of course), she was my Maid Of Honor at my wedding.....PLUS.....our photographer!! Boy did we luck out with her persistence to be there!! But looking back, it wouldn't have been right if she hadn't been right there beside me....the place she has loyally been for so many years. Sitting in my room right this moment, I can look around and see at least 3 things that remind me of her and our years of friendship. Now THAT is definitely a "presence" that I would be lost without.

I could literally go ON AND ON AND ON when it comes to memorable moments in our friendship over the past 30+ years but truly, there's not enough time in the day to list them all. And most importantly, she knows........she knows it all too well! The laughing, the crying, the late nights, the banquet pictures, the funky hairdo's, days at the lake, "Mastercraft Theater", freezing pictures on Colorado roadsides (thanks Nettie), one HILARIOUS picture of her after snow skiing INTO a tree (HA!!), long nights studying (including eating donuts and drinking Dr.Pepper), toes stuck in windows, camping at the beach, borderline bursting into flames while sleeping in your den toe-to-head on your couch, 4 wheeling.....oh- and let's not forget the most memorable snow mobiling time (sorry for almost killing you - EEKS), trying to get you guys power on our honeymoon night, attempting to camp during the blizzard of '93, toothpaste stains on my shirt, Senior Survival, The Rose......literally........I could go on all night!!

Bottom line.......HAPPY BIRTHDAY to one of my most important soul mates and friends. I LOVE YOU!!!

Let's end on some funny photos.......I said "funny".....not "flattering" OK??



A VERY wet senior survival















Blizzard of '93 - stranded at my grandparents for 4 days. CRAZY!!! We were in DESPERATE need of showers and toothbrushes at this point!









While on our Class Trip / Mission Trip to Bimini, Bahamas...this little boy sang Jesus Loves Me to us for a quarter, it was SO cute! I wish I could say we got our hair braided to blend in, but really, our hair was DISGUSTINGLY dirty since all we had available was salt water showers. Braids were the best option.








After our Gymnastics Home Show in '93. Apparently plaid was REALLY in, along with giant hair bows!!















The infamous "ski in the tree" picture. Some poor soldier on leave snapped this picture for me and mailed it to us once we got home. THANK YOU UNKNOWN MAN!!! This still makes me laugh out loud to this day!!!






Our Junior/Senior Banquet picture that Momma Nettie INSISTED we climb into the beautiful flowering tree to take. Nettie and her pictures. Now I'm very thankful - Then......not so much! ;-) Like we needed MORE flowers with those dresses we are wearing. EEKS!














After Jen's college graduation, giving her a lift home!














Summer trip to Dallas - outside of Texas Stadium. GO COWBOYS!!!











Graveyard Fields during one of our Alumni hikes. I love this picture!

















Huntington Gardens in SoCal.......Jen's daughter Brianna meeting Kellyn for the first time. I wonder if they will be as lucky as we are 30+ years from now!














Jen, Brianna and Kellyn this past summer.













At my wedding. She was a MUCH better Maid of Honor than I was at her wedding. I couldn't even get a word out for her toast w/out balling my head off. Luckily, she joined me (along with Momma Nettie) and we all just cried together. Poor Albert didn't know what he was getting himself into!!!

4 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Happy Birthday, Jen! LOVE the floralrama photo of you two--your shoes, Cheryl, are even topped with a flower. Now that is adept accessorizing!

Cheryl the Hagmeister said...

You know.....I almost mentioned the shoes in the blog but thought "no, i want to wait and see who notices" and of course......YOU!!!! You never let me down Ang! :-)

Natalie said...

Yes, the banquet dresses are the best! But, do you still have them?

Cheryl the Hagmeister said...

I wish I could say I did (I think) but alas, we have parted ways. Too bad, I'm sure it will break Kellyn and Kaitlin's hearts in about 16 years! :-)