Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Birthday "Experience"



The word "experience" doesn't ALWAYS mean a good thing. And tonight was a perfect example.


First of all: HAPPY BIRTHDAY Kellyn and Jim!!!!!


I'm still having a hard time understanding where the last 3 years went. What I wouldn't do for another sleepless night rocking my newborn to sleep while feeding her. Although, I love reading to her now, putting together puzzles and just completely interacting - there's something about that newborn that I just miss. Don't worry......I'm not getting "the bug". It's just hard to see Kellyn get older. She makes me so proud though and everyday is another exciting chapter in the beautiful life known as Kellyn!!!





Today STARTED out good. We met Kellyn at school with cupcakes and photo collage. They did this little "celebration" for her and she walked a circle around the "sun" (a.k.a. candle) and carried a flower for each year of birth while we all sang a song to her. It was too cute.








Afterwards, all the kids came and gave her hugs (boys shook hands - it was HILARIOUS) and then we had yummy carrot muffins that I was happy to see them all eat considering I had snuck cauliflower and prunes in them!! :-)


Afterwards, we took the girls out to lunch then back home for naps.


It's the latter part of the day that got tricky to say the least. After they were down for naps, I headed into work for a little bit. Jim and I planned on meeting at The Cheesecake Factory for a birthday dinner (just the 4 of us). During dinner, Kellyn mentioned she wasn't feeling good but we forced broccoli down her throat nonetheless. Kaitlin was making dinner difficult (to say the least) so Jim took her outside for a mental break (a.k.a. timeout). At this point, Kellyn came over to me and before she could get the words "my belly hurts" out of her mouth - Vomit EVERYWHERE!!!! Not once, not twice........but THREE TIMES!!!!


Poor things..........I felt SO BAD for her.


So I'm trying to clean up the massive amount of broccoli fragments while trying to console her too. As soon as Jim came back - I grabbed both girls and took off to home. 2 of us covered in vomit. Oh yeah - we smelled GREAT!! Jim was left there alone to take care of the food we had barely touched (and the bill - SORRY BABY) along with cleaning up the remaining mess.


On our way out the door, I have both girls in my hand and struggling to get the door opened. What did I do? Totally pinch Kellyns arm in the door. Now I REALLY felt bad!!! She's feeling like crap, covered in vomit, being held in mom's "death grip" so I won't drop her and Kaitlin, and now I go and pinch her arm. She was wailing with tears and there was nothing I could do.


Ahhh......what a lovely birthday!!

I'm just hoping she's young enough NOT to remember this one. Promise to make it up to you next year sweetheart!!!



There was some redeeming grace however. Jim, being the most awesome dad that he is, brought her home a slice of strawberry cheesecake - something she was SOOOOO looking forward too before she blew chunks all over the table.

We put a TINY amount (in case we had to see it again later) in a bowl and had our own little birthday celebration. Even Kaitlin help us sing to her.








Then magically, she perked up for all the presents. We ended up missing bedtime by an hour just to get in time with all the new toys and books.






After this crummy birthday, I was willing to stay up all night and read to her. Nothing better then holding your "baby" in your arms before putting them to bed. There's something very sacred about those moments and I hope they are forever alive in my memory.
Despite the lackluster of the birthday these 2 deserve, I'm hoping good moments were had amongst the mess.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a eventful evening! Sorry I missed you when I called. Happy Birthday to both Kellyn and Jim! Love you lots!

Angie

Natalie said...

I completely relate...!