Ok.......so here it is. My post on last LAST Thursday (8-7) about our crazy adventure. **Warning** This is going to be long with LOTS of pictures.......but get over it, it was too much fun to leave anything out!
I have to admit, I was a bit hesitant about this trip from the beginning. Krista (who heads our workout group) organized the entire trip and you know me and adventure......I'm always the first in line. The plan: Hiking about 6 miles in to Rubicon Springs Base Camp, having a gourmet lunch, then getting flown back via helicopter. WAY COOL!
But, the idea of taking off into the wilderness with a bunch of women I don't really know ALL that well.......isn't that a recipe for disaster? Granted, we work out together 2-3 times a week, but how much do you really know someone after a few hours of sweating together. As it turns out.......pretty well!!!
The group totalled around 15 people (mostly women, with the addition of Krista's brother), and only a small handful of those women did I know. We turned out to be the "lively group" and it consisted of myself, Tammi, Kim and Melinda (and Krista of course). ;-) From the moment we all got in the car together for our 2 hour commute (at 5am mind you), it was non-stop talking/laughing until we got back around 8pm. My stomach muscles hurt from so much laughing and the next day at work, I sounded like I had smoked my entire life. And I'm a girl who likes to talk.......so you KNOW there was some jabbering going on here!
Our day started out at Starbucks (a must have at 5am) then we all piled in Melinda's car and started our Journey to Loon's Lake. Took a while for Tammi to join in on the conversation (she had to wait until her coffee kicked in), but once she did.....she was there to stay!
Loon Lake is usually inaccessible in the winter so it was soooo cool to finally get the chance to see it. It's one of many reservoirs in that area but the "launch pad" for our hike. We got to see our first glimpse of the helicopter we would get to ride in later on in the day. Turns out the pilot is now retired but is a very experienced mountain helicopter pilot who flew the Dhali Lama's family out of Tibet in the 70's. I don't know much about flying helicopters, but I could tell that man was da'bomb!!!
Here we are getting ready for our hike...........and YES, within the first 3 minutes, we were already labeled as the "trouble makers". But we look sweet and innocent in this picture? :-)
Our 1st (and only) group shot!
From the starting point of the hike, we got to see the helicopter that would be bringing us back. He was flying in supplies to the camp. We joked that "bag" hanging from the rope was the hikers that couldn't make it. Hmmm...maybe it was!
This picture just makes me laugh. Kim was not to keen on the helicopter part of this trip but she came anyways since it was my birthday. AAAAWWWWW, how sweet! I owe her big time!
The first chance we got, we had to "strut our stuff". Do we look like dorks or what?
Kim showing off those "choppers" of hers! What an infectious smile!!
Melinda bending trees with her bare hands. It's amazing what a cup of coffee does to this woman!!!
Kim TRYING to have a quiet pee moment in the woods. Apparently she doesn't know me too well!! :-)
While showing off my "pee shot" of Kim to the rest of the girls, Melinda decided to beat up Tammi with the camera. This was our first (and last) injury. Way to go Melinda!!!
Our first Jeep spotting's on the trail. Man that looks like fun!
This sign was just cool looking
Ribbit.......Ribbit. Melinda being goofy in front of a VERY cool lily pad pond we found.
I gave Tammi a feather.....which as we learned on the drive up, is the only thing you can throw out your window and not get cited for! It's the useful information!!!
As we're walking into the camp
This guy was playing this grand piano as we hiked into the camp. Last thing in the world I would have EVER expected to see (or hear). Way cool!
The cooking and dining area........totally gourmet food made here. Filet's, shrimp, lobsters, etc.....the people that say at this camp are treated like kings/queens.
Our lunch was nothing to balk about either........it was YUMMY enough to take a picture of!
Kim and I stole other people M&M's while they weren't looking! Oh yeah baby!
And to top it off.......this guy serenaded to us on his guitar while we ate. He was quite the entertainer!
Is that a fine group of women or what?
Melinda actually went through all the leftover lunches looking for a bag of fritos. It was like striking gold!!
And we can't wind up the day w/out the ever so necessary Butt Shot!
Now that our bellies were full, we headed down to the river for some relaxing and fun until our helicopter was ready.
This was the funniest thing EVER. Tammi holding Melinda's short while her and Kim tried to scoop up a crawfish. How many girls does it take to disrupt mother nature???
Still trying.........that's one slippery crawdad
You have NO IDEA what it took to get this picture!
Trying to warm up and dry off......since none of us brought bathing suits like Krista recommended. DUH!!!
Melinda showing off my "post lunch" belly!!!
I just love potty humor! Especially in an old, abandoned outhouse!
Krista pretending to be our pilot. I don't think so little lady!
Tammi getting hand selected to fly out first with the rest of the ground crew. They needed someone tiny. I can't figure out why they picked her over me?? hee hee
Krista taking our shot from the backside.......always our best side! :-) Kim wearing her fear a little more on her sleave in this shot!
Just to freak her out even more, we made her ride up front. What are friends for?
Starting to feel MUCH better about this......right?I'm telling you.........it was truly one of the best birthdays EVER!! I've never laughed so hard, talked so much (hard to believe huh?), and had such an awesome time with a bunch of women in my life! And like we didn't get enough of each other..........Kim, Tammi and Melinda took me out for dinner when we got back into town. Yes, we were all smelly and gross looking but WHO CARES!!! We still managed to laugh and talk more........how is that possible?
I warned you this was going to be a doozy......but I just had to send the offical "THANK YOU" to all my ladies that made that day and absolutely unforgettable moment!!!



4 comments:
Now that is how to spend a birthday! Next time, take me, please!!!
Love the classy outhouse photo, Cheryl. :)
Cheryl,
I have to agree I think this was one of the most fun days I have ever had. I am so glad that we got to celebrate your birthday in such a fashion. I think your blog is so awsome I might just not post mine and refer my friends to your post!!! I am looking forward to another fun filled days with my best girlfriends!!!
Tammi
Cheryl,
I have to agree I think this was one of the most fun days I have ever had. I am so glad that we got to celebrate your birthday in such a fashion. I think your blog is so awsome I might just not post mine and refer my friends to your post!!! I am looking forward to another fun filled days with my best girlfriends!!!
Tammi
Cheryl, I am glad you had such a great time. I have to admit and probably no surprise that trip would have been punishment for me! But it sounded great for you girls. I'm glad you had such a wonderful Girls day out.
Post a Comment