You ask?
WORK WORK WORK and more WORK!!!
The past couple of weeks have been a whirlwind but amidst all the craziness, we did manage to get some fun times in there too.
Every evening after work.....the girls can't wait to hit the asphalt (literally sometimes) on their bikes, big wheels, or wagon. They just LOOOVE being outside in our cul-de-sac no matter how hot it may be. We have to get real creative when it comes to going indoors for bath time b/c they are smart cookies and know bedtime is right after that.
Afterwards, I took them to lunch at a little grill located right on our little city airports runway. The girls were just in awe at all the planes taking off and landing...........they barely ate a bite! Definitely their favorite place to eat and I'm hoping to make this a little mommy/daughter weekend tradition! This was our 3rd time in the past 6 months coming to the restaurant and as we were leaving, the waitress told me how happy she is when she sees me come in with the girls.....stating they were her favorite "kid customers" and so well behaved and just adorable. Yes....this made me ONE PROUD MOMMY!!!
Sunday night, in a last minute scurry, Lisa rounded us up some tickets (and a babysitter for the little ones) for the minor league baseball game. So while Merrick and Kaitlin were in dreamland, we took the older kids to the ballgame. Kellyn was in HEAVEN being on an outing with Tryg, Matt and Aunt "Sisa" - 3 of her favorite people.
During the game, they announced that when it was over, they would let kids "run the bases" with a signed waiver from their parents. Tryg and Matt were all over this idea so of course, Kellyn was all excited about it too. But I knew better.........she's still little......and to be out on that field by herself with all those bigger kids would freak her out. But still, I wanted to give her the chance!
So we waited our turn and when we finally got down to the field, I could see that questionable look in her eyes. Tryg said he would hold her hands around the bases since they wouldn't let parents on the field with the kids. This seemed OK with her at first........but as soon as she got b/t 1st and 2nd base, she looked around in circles with tears in her eyes for her mommy! It broke my heart. The staff let me go out to her and hold her hand while we finished running the bases.
But the story doesn't end there. The boys wanted to do it again.......so we walked back around. This time, I was under the impression that Kellyn would just stay back with me but when we got to the starting point.........she just took off. For ONE MOMENT, she looked back at me at which point, I told her she could do it.......and she stepped foot on that dirt and just took off. At full throttle, my little girls ran all 4 bases at top speed w/out stopping once - ALL BY HERSELF!!
I was cheering from the stands, feeling so much pride yet so much sadness at the same time. I couldn't help but well up with tears as I watched my little girl exercise her confidence in doing something w/out her mommy by her side. To see that little 2 year old out there with all those big kids was amazing but at the same time, it was more difficult then I ever thought it would be. I've always said I hoped to raise strong, independent women.......and I'm obviously succeeding. So why does it hurt so much? Guess that's just part of being a parent!!

No comments:
Post a Comment